MISO BROWNIES W/ SWEET DARK CHERRIES
Well, here we are in February: the month of love and chocolate as they say, but shouldn’t that be every day? It is for me, the chocolate part I mean. I can’t even tell you how much I love chocolate, especially dark chocolate and the more bitter it is, the better. I’m one of those that would go for the 70% or higher percentage cocoa. Maybe I eat my bitterness away (just kidding..sort of).
In all honesty, I am never really a fan of Valentine’s Day, or any day that is created by Hallmark. It’s sort of ridiculous really, to celebrate love in one day. Why don’t we all celebrate and show appreciation for our loved ones every day? And darn it, my next boyfriend better be bringing me chocolate at least on a daily basis, served with coffee! Again, kidding (not kidding).
Speaking of coffee, one of my all-time favorite coffees currently is Blue Bottle. Something about their coffee just speaks to me, or at least wakes me up nicely. Whenever I am in NYC, I make sure to stop in at least once or twice and grab a bag or three to take home with me, and of course while there, I always have to try something from the pastry section. During my last visit, I had a chance to try something different: a miso and black sesame cookie. It sounded odd at first, but I love anything miso so I went for it and I’m glad I did because it was really, really good!
Since then, it has been on the back of my mind to play around with a sweet miso recipe, and I remembered this Dark Chocolate Brownies by Lynne Rossetto Kasper (love her) of The Splendid Table, and I figured it would be perfect for this chocolate and miso addiction of mine. I did change it up and used coconut flour, added coffee, used regular sugar instead of confectioners’ sugar, and I added sweet dark cherries, which complimented the richness of the chocolate really well. The miso adds such a depth of flavor and richness that is like no other.
So as much as I am not a fan of V-Day, I am a fan of chocolate, so I am just going to dedicate this blog post to all the chocolate lovers out there!
(click here for Full Grocery List)
7 ounces dark chocolate, I used 70% raw cacao
1 ¾ sticks of unsalted butter
3 tablespoon miso paste, I used red miso
1 cup plus 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
5 tablespoon coconut flour
8 teaspoons cocoa powder
4 large eggs at room temperature
1 cup frozen sweet dark cherries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease an 8x8-inch baking pan with butter.
- In a double boiler, melt the butter, chocolate and miso over simmering water. Stir occasionally until completely smooth.
- While waiting for the chocolate to melt put the sugar, flour and cocoa powder in a medium bowl and whisk well to loosen it up.
- Gradually add the dry mixture into the pot with the wet mixture and keep whisking until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Remove from heat, then add the eggs one at a time while whisking.
- Once you have a smooth batter, fold in the cherries.
- Pour it into the baking pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
Serve with your favorite ice cream or freshly whipped cream.
7 ounces dark chocolate
Red miso paste
7 ounces dark chocolate
1 bag frozen sweet dark cherries